Sunday, June 18, 2006

I have not written consistently for two months, partly due to lack of internet access and a lack of want to transcribe whatever scribbles I have in my 'army journal' into this blog in my spare time when I come back.

I completed my BMT. It wasn't anything special, it was just a phase of life. As I threw my jockey cap, I didn't feel the rush, the elation. It was simply over. 9 weeks to throw a cap, I don't think it was worth the nine weeks just to throw a cap.

I am posted to SISPEC, S chool of I nfantry SPEC ialist. Basically, I'll become a sergeant in four months time assuming I do not cross over to O fficer C adet S chool. I'm quite disappointed in myself for not making it directly to OCS. Then again, not a lot of people went to SISPEC either.

Sigh, Que Sera Sera.

I would serve my duty to my country with pride and distinction, if only my country would make herself worthy of being served by her country men.

It is ironic that in the months before my NS I went to Malaysia for an extended stay, coupled with a few other experiences that made me appreciate Singapore for some of its socialist aspects such as infrastructure, public amenities and priviledges citizens enjoy.

It pains me to see that the spirit of the Socialism has been lost in the politics, that our leaders forget that it is the people they serve and equally it is our people's fault that they forget that it is the country whom they serve and their leaders whom they owe their loyalty and efforts.

Too much does one ask from the Government and Public while too little is given in return for it. It becomes a vicious cycle of mounting taxes, disgruntled citizens, unwillingness to serve the nation etc.

If only the citizenry and their elected leaders truly care for one another, that Singapore does not belong to the expats and foreign investors, but to Singaporeans... whom sadly in turn, has forgotten their identities, learning all the unlawful liberties of our western counterparts and none of their spirit and character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

simple hit counter