Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Elitism.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

I hit the gym this morning for a regular work out. Finishing up, I was thinking on what my friend told me that we started gym at a relatively early age compared to others. I remember stepping into my first gym, my school's gym filled with conviction that gym will create bulging, unsightly and inflexible muscles. Of course that was a myth. I pondered about the others at our age, and I decided to look at the average person.

I was told/asked many times, by friends or people around me. "You're good enough already..." "Why do you ask for so much in life..." "Why can't you stop trying to be different?". When I step into the gym, I only see someone who has built a stronger body. When I hit the track, I only see a better runner. When I stand, En Guarde at the piste, I only see someone whom I have to defeat to prove my superiority. When I watch fencing and sports, I only see people who are better than me. People who have worked harder than me. People who deserved to win more than me.

"Because, I don't want to be common."
"Because, I am not good enough to be the best."

It is unfair to say so, but the law of the jungle? Survival of the fittest. The weak die so the strong may survive. Perhaps when I am the fittest, I can spend time to strengthen the weak. Yet to think so is to believe heavily in conviction.

The champion in a fencing competition, is the fencer who has, at the beginning of the day, stepped on the piste, and never lost a single bout until he steps off the piste. The second, is the one who wins every bout, but lack the resolve to win the last. Unfair. But true.

Know the truth, that there can only be one, single, victor. No other.

Somehow, one can be so consumed in such thoughts and still hold feelings for his fellow men. Such irony.

This competitiveness, is what drives us to success. To others, they are disgusted and would keep their distance well from such men and women. Is it their low self-esteem which puts them away? Or did they find a deeper meaning in life than those who fight constantly for some material gain or status?

Life's too short to be second best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

simple hit counter