Education.
The silliest thing in my time spent as a relief teacher is that the students generally prefer to "do their own things" and not have a moral discussion of sorts during CME.Perhaps this reflects on the apathetic feeling the average student has against the school system and their belief in the irrelevance of the subject which they are taking. Having been a student myself, I disagree with aspects of the education system. As an individual I believe in the libertarian system with some measure of conservatism to ensure the well being of society and that essential liberty is a citizenship right.
However, as an official or party head, I prefer the ideals of National Socialism. Nationalising the industries, building patriotic spirit in the people etc. Freedom of expression is important but not as important as having a national identity and a unifying image. However, certain measures of freedom must still be granted to the individual as compensation and reward for their cooperation with the government.
Irregardless of the preference of political systems, I believe ultimately the aim of the government is to form a cohesive society where personal goals and ambitions can be met realistically without infringing on the rights of others nor unjustly oppression of the population. The government is essentially the servants of the society and exists to better it, not suppress it.
I think I should discuss with the teacher whom I am relieving after my term to gain an insight of the "Normal" students, her teaching method and their level of cooperation.
Back from the discourse of government and to education... I believe education is a consential issue. You cannot force the individual to assimilate anything unless they recognise that it is for their betterment, from which they will only then benefit. It is rare to find an individual who lust for knowledge and comprehension of philosophical arguements. It is even more rare to find one who actually loves studying not so much to score, to earn a certificate nor to earn a living but because he/she enjoys the pursuit of knowledge and dilligently read widely to advance his/her understanding of the world.
I admit that I have no interes what-so-ever in the studying of anything outside of my interests and I would think this fault results as a flaw in the education system of Singapore.
One is not taught to think but how they should think. One does not read further than the syllabus and only goes beyond the class rooms to gain an advantage over his/her class mate. Discussions are steered with government-bias view points and opinions answered in the "correct" political spectrum. In other words, we can regurgitate the entire content of our textbooks and answer in stoic monotonous terms of righteousness and good citizenry.
What is intelligence measured by? Is it by academic grades? Is it through moral intelligence? Is it philosophy? Is it the construction of logical arguements? Or is it by simple intelligence quotient tests? The IQ test has been provern to be culturally and educationally bias. some people agree that "Education is the great equaliser", If you asked me, I did say it is the great divider. So many inferiorities becomes acknowledged and discriminated. The educated from the non-educated, the high scorers from the low scorers, the differential racial lines, portrayal of 'civilised' behaviour to 'barbaric' behaviour and so much more comparisons. Superiority makes itself known and the ugly face of human nature shows itself.
The silliest thing in my time spent as a relief teacher is that the students generally prefer to "do their own things" and not have a moral discussion of sorts during CME.Perhaps this reflects on the apathetic feeling the average student has against the school system and their belief in the irrelevance of the subject which they are taking. Having been a student myself, I disagree with aspects of the education system. As an individual I believe in the libertarian system with some measure of conservatism to ensure the well being of society and that essential liberty is a citizenship right.
However, as an official or party head, I prefer the ideals of National Socialism. Nationalising the industries, building patriotic spirit in the people etc. Freedom of expression is important but not as important as having a national identity and a unifying image. However, certain measures of freedom must still be granted to the individual as compensation and reward for their cooperation with the government.
Irregardless of the preference of political systems, I believe ultimately the aim of the government is to form a cohesive society where personal goals and ambitions can be met realistically without infringing on the rights of others nor unjustly oppression of the population. The government is essentially the servants of the society and exists to better it, not suppress it.
I think I should discuss with the teacher whom I am relieving after my term to gain an insight of the "Normal" students, her teaching method and their level of cooperation.
Back from the discourse of government and to education... I believe education is a consential issue. You cannot force the individual to assimilate anything unless they recognise that it is for their betterment, from which they will only then benefit. It is rare to find an individual who lust for knowledge and comprehension of philosophical arguements. It is even more rare to find one who actually loves studying not so much to score, to earn a certificate nor to earn a living but because he/she enjoys the pursuit of knowledge and dilligently read widely to advance his/her understanding of the world.
I admit that I have no interes what-so-ever in the studying of anything outside of my interests and I would think this fault results as a flaw in the education system of Singapore.
One is not taught to think but how they should think. One does not read further than the syllabus and only goes beyond the class rooms to gain an advantage over his/her class mate. Discussions are steered with government-bias view points and opinions answered in the "correct" political spectrum. In other words, we can regurgitate the entire content of our textbooks and answer in stoic monotonous terms of righteousness and good citizenry.
What is intelligence measured by? Is it by academic grades? Is it through moral intelligence? Is it philosophy? Is it the construction of logical arguements? Or is it by simple intelligence quotient tests? The IQ test has been provern to be culturally and educationally bias. some people agree that "Education is the great equaliser", If you asked me, I did say it is the great divider. So many inferiorities becomes acknowledged and discriminated. The educated from the non-educated, the high scorers from the low scorers, the differential racial lines, portrayal of 'civilised' behaviour to 'barbaric' behaviour and so much more comparisons. Superiority makes itself known and the ugly face of human nature shows itself.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home