Sunday, October 12, 2008

And the world stood still.

For a moment as my friend asked, what I would do if there was war. At that moment, despite all my "war-mongering" and "aggressive" militaristic tendencies, I was somewhat confused at his question. I could find no reason to fight a war.

As I've said myself before, one dictator is as good as another, so is one government as good as another so long as nothing drastic changes. Regardless, life still goes on. We stand at the start of another coming recession and yet I feel unmoved.

My friend was telling me, that modern finance would have a re-occuring 'depression' or big financial recession every 50-60 years, or some specific time length and what the world has always done to get itself out of this mess is to wage war. Not just small conflicts but major global conflicts, the last being world war 2, after the "Great Depression".

I think total war may not be that likely because the people have tasted too much of the good life. The life where they enjoy much luxuries. I couldn't care less if there was war or not because I would still be minimally affected.

I decided to stop social drinking (maybe at most one pint of beer or a glass of wine. Thats all), I don't go to clubs, I don't fancy concerts, I don't fancy modern entertainment such as ipods, latest gadgets, I don't drive...

I play the computer often but I can easily live without it. I don't watch the TV, I read the news only from time to time, I don't listen to much music. If the world as we know, should go to war and almost everything is lost...

I think I'll spend my time, as the only bugger who still goes for a morning jog among the ruins, find a musical instrument and play it to entertain myself, look for a way to salvage writing material and start composing poetry and start trying to plant potatoes and vegetables to survive.

I think the bottom line, as I was discussing with my friend... Is that those people who have been in the military and are extremely nationalistic and supportive of a strong military, are the last people who would call for a war because they know the meaning of war and the implications involved.

Where as those who resist compulsory military service and evades service, calling it obsolete and unfair, would be the first who will scream for war and bloodshed... precisely because they know nothing of it.

The only war I see possible, is one of defence from foreign aggressors and only if these foreign aggressors intend to destroy our way of life and culture (I doubt Singapore has one...). That would be the only reason (and perhaps a selectively few other reasons) worth fighting for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

simple hit counter