Friday, September 16, 2005

Scenario.

I had a horrible unbalanced game of DotA 6.15 earlier on. Its a relatively simply game where you pick heroes in a RTS game and lead a small army controlled by the computer to attack the enemy with a similar load out. The difference lies in having unique heroes, such that the heroes can only be picked once thereforce each side yours and the enemy's have differing hero.

The basics established, the new version had unbalanced heroes, some of which were overpowered and that was when I begin to realise more and more of humans. A trait extremely common in online gamers, is to call others whiners, losers, 'noob' (a derogatory term for a supposedly inferior player) when they are winning. Perhaps it doesn't irk me as much that they did this but rather, that the opponent picked an unbalanced hero.

I think it hits quite abit on sportsmanship and honour when you deliberately picked an unbalanced hero to abuse it and ruin other people's game due to the lack of your own ability to play the game properly, hence the need to resort to 'bugs' and 'glitches' in the game. Nevertheless, the game was extremely tiresome, requiring much skill to compensate for a dishonourable player with considerably pathetic skills.

Mid way through the game, I commented on the unbalanced issue of the silencer and dislike the fact that the host himself used it. Not only then was I called a whiner etc, he was definately sure he was going to win our team. That was when I got really upset.

To cut the long story short, we thrashed their team and I had the last word in about his sportsman-like behaviour.

Conclusion.

Unfortunately it appears that generally humans resort to unsportsman-like, unpleasant and contemptable behaviour when their true identity is not at risk, i.e over the internet, or when /.they have power.

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong." - Leo Rosten

How true it is, the words they have said. That people are reduced to a degenerative filth in a desperate grasp for power and status. Though some gained power, their power is never lasting. Often taken by others similar to theirs. Ironically those who are skillful and harbour no ill intent, are too virtuous at times, to seize power in order to restore some sense of justice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

simple hit counter