Tailoring.
Last week I made a rather rash decision to rush down to arab street and purchase 35 dollars worth of cloth. 5 metres of cotton canvas, 5 metres of soft cotton fabric (no idea what it is) and 2 metres of cotton velvet. What would a modern man be possibly doing with so much cloth, especially if they are 100% natural fabrics.
For some odd reason it struck me that having been teaching fencing to someone's child, I needed a padded vest so that the thrusts wouldn't hurt as much as it currently does. Although it is mere tiny pin pricks... about several hundred of those are enough to bruise even the strongest of any pectoralis major.
So after barely consulting a few online downloaded charts, I went off on a fanciful whim to build a fencing vest... or a doublet in this case. I drew up a vest design based on some of the inspirations available, took a few measurements and made a simple test model out of some old lousy cloth before I begin cutting out my designs on the actual fabrics themselves.
Spent two days cutting out canvas and soft cotton fabrics and I ended up today with a working prototype of my vest. Albeit held together by merely pins, it looks smashing and was a fantastic fit. The only problem was the rough canvas material isn't exactly pleasing to the eye but nevertheless, a good imagination will replace it with the finest satin or silk.
Considering that this is the first clothing I've ever tailored, it worked out pretty well so far. Of course I had plenty of help from my mother. Methinks I can make a living out of this. How odd, to suddenly want to be a tailor for medieval gear in the middle of my life. Heh. Just something to day dream about. On the flip side, I should be able to complete my vest before this weekend which means no bruised chest for the coming fencing lessons.
Last week I made a rather rash decision to rush down to arab street and purchase 35 dollars worth of cloth. 5 metres of cotton canvas, 5 metres of soft cotton fabric (no idea what it is) and 2 metres of cotton velvet. What would a modern man be possibly doing with so much cloth, especially if they are 100% natural fabrics.
For some odd reason it struck me that having been teaching fencing to someone's child, I needed a padded vest so that the thrusts wouldn't hurt as much as it currently does. Although it is mere tiny pin pricks... about several hundred of those are enough to bruise even the strongest of any pectoralis major.
So after barely consulting a few online downloaded charts, I went off on a fanciful whim to build a fencing vest... or a doublet in this case. I drew up a vest design based on some of the inspirations available, took a few measurements and made a simple test model out of some old lousy cloth before I begin cutting out my designs on the actual fabrics themselves.
Spent two days cutting out canvas and soft cotton fabrics and I ended up today with a working prototype of my vest. Albeit held together by merely pins, it looks smashing and was a fantastic fit. The only problem was the rough canvas material isn't exactly pleasing to the eye but nevertheless, a good imagination will replace it with the finest satin or silk.
Considering that this is the first clothing I've ever tailored, it worked out pretty well so far. Of course I had plenty of help from my mother. Methinks I can make a living out of this. How odd, to suddenly want to be a tailor for medieval gear in the middle of my life. Heh. Just something to day dream about. On the flip side, I should be able to complete my vest before this weekend which means no bruised chest for the coming fencing lessons.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home